Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Local Favorites: Part 3

In the last part of this series, I didn't want to limit my favorites to just one category. I've decided to do a quick take of three of my favorite local shops.

Big Truck Tacos

In my opinion, this was the place that started the food truck craze in OKC. It has been running as a restaurant since 2008 with a location on NW 23rd and Walker. It almost won Travel Channel's America's Favorite Food Truck in 2010, missing an opportunity to be on The Great American Food Truck Race.These guys know how to make a taco. The creativity that they show within the confines of a tortilla is sometimes pretty astounding.


Menu Highlights

Crispy'cado - This is a vegetarian taco but don't be fooled: I'm not sure it's all that healthy. The ingredients here are a fried avocado slice (!), romaine lettuce and queso fresco. So simple, so delicious. This is my favorite thing on the menu.

Beef al Carbon - If you like classic street tacos, this is your meal of choice at Big Truck. Coffee-rubbed flank steak with grilled poblano and roasted onions. Squeeze a little lime on it an garnish with one of the six (SIX!) available salsas.

Thunder Burrito - This is a mission-style burrito in case tacos aren't your Mexican food vehicle of choice. It's got just about everything and it's organized in layers so no two bites are the same. Bison picadillo, refried beans, potatoes, roasted onions and jalapenos as well as queso fresco and green onion.



Taj Cuisine of India

Also located on 23rd St., Taj is an Indian buffet. This doesn't fall into your typical buffet stigmas: it's very fresh and very consistent. For Indian food lovers with a big appetite, this should be in your arsenal.

Menu Highlights

Chili Chicken - Okay, so I'm cheating here. This is technically Indian food, but it's so freaking tasty that I couldn't leave it off the post. Beware: It's pretty spicy. Paired with some flatbread and plenty of rice, it is usually my main course.

Lamb Korma - Another spicy dish. This is similar to a Thai curry and, in my opinion, should be eaten like curry. Mix it with rice and chow down.

No comments:

Post a Comment